PHS Library Resource Page for Mr. Crocker
Senior Social Studies - World Governments
- CIA World Factbook
- Background Notes - From the U.S. State Department
Reports - Country information for State Department employees
Opposing Viewpoints Presentation Resources
- Social Issues - From the Multnomah County Library in Portland. This page contains links to various topics including racial profiling and terrorism with links to megasites on the topics as well as sites that support and oppose the issue and legislation. This may be a good site to begin your exploration.
- Public Agenda Online - This site covers 21 current issues from abortion to social security. The site provides three approaches including understanding the issue, public opinion on the issue and links to resources and sources - another good site for understanding the various perspectives on an issue.
- Ebsco Magazine and Journal Databases - are a good source of information to flesh out your research once you understand the perspectives. The one database that you may wish to focus on in this resource is called "TOPICsearch" - it is in the alphabetical list of databases under "All Databases". This resource focuses current events and popular topics and may include magazine and newspaper articles, opinion polls, and pamphlets on your topic.
Decades Project Resources
Recommended Books (most will be found in the PHS Library Reference Section - refer to the call number listed to find them on the shelves)
- The 20th Century
- The Century for Young People
- The Century
- The 20th Century Year by Year
- Visual History of the 20th Century
- Our Times
- Chronicle of the world
- The Great age of change
- New Deal and Global war
- The Progressive Era
- Time Capsule (9 Volume Series)
- How to Become a Good Dancer
- Turbulent 20th Century
- The Value of a Dollar 1860-1999
Recommended Movies (The videos listed below will be kept on a cart behind the counter. You may check them out for viewing in the library only; you must supply a student body card or drivers license to library staff.)
- Great Moments of the 20th Century
AV-VCAS 973 ( SET OF 6)
- The Century America's Time
AV-VCAS 909.82 ( SET OF 6)
- World War 1
AV-VCAS 940.3 ( SET OF 5)
- A walk through the 20th Century
AV-VCAS 973 ( SET OF 3)
- Headline Stories of the Century
AV-VCAS 973 ( SET OF 4)
- The Fabulous 60's
AV-VCAS 973.92 ( SET OF 10)
- America 1900
AV-VCAS 973 ( TWO TAPES)
- Movies of the 1920's
- The Jazz Age
- Riding the Rails
- Images of the 80's
- The 1960's: a Time to Remember
- The 1940's: a Time to remember
- Witness to History: The Great
- 20th Century America
While it is possible to find a great deal of information on your period on the Internet, it is difficult to one site specializing on your decade. The best research strategy is to locate names of people, events, artists, etc. and then use a search engine to try to locate information specific to the topic. You may find, however, the following sites to be of value in your research:
- American Cultural History - From the Kingwood College Library, this directory of sites is divided by decades and provides a good deal of relevant information.
- Best of History Web Sites - this links to the Best of U.S. History Web Sites directory. Make sure to look on the left side of the page for links to various periods.
- PBS Online - History Section - A good resource for information on myriad events and personalities. Make sure to scroll down to the U.S. History section.
Timeline - Llist of foods/brands that debuted during various decades.
- Project Timeline
- History Mole - Click on 'advanced Search' to create a search for 2000-2006 USA events
- History Channel - Click on “Select a century” to get info about 2000, 2001, 2002, etc.
The Corvallis Benton County Public Library will have a number of books and videos on your period. Remember that you can have an book in the library system delivered to the Philomath library if you desire; you are not limited to what is available in Philomath. Mrs. Goodson can assist you in searching their catalog if you wish.